[nagdu] Air Charters and the extra seat

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 15 16:50:57 UTC 2009

Hello Dar and listers,

        We're leaving for our chapter meeting in a bit so I'll be brief.
Fortunately the flight to Detroit wasn't full so I was able to fly courtesy
of Southwest but was required to purchess the extra seat to come home. And
interestingly enough the flights back to San Antonio weren't completely
full. Southwest refunded the extra seat amount, but this is an embarassing,
patronizing, and one more way the airlines "Flex their muscles" to clean out
the pockets of the flying publics. Installing extra-wide seats and selling
them for a slightly higher fare would be a far better alternative than
insulting someone in front of a plane full of passengers. There is a move a
foot to urge airlines to install extra-wide seats to better acommodate large
passengers without their being subject to such disgusting treatment. NAGDU
and the NFB may want to jump on this move as extra-wide seats would mean
more room for large dogs to occupy. Mr. President I believe this is food for
thought.

    One more thing I find unfortunate is that the obeas are the "Scapegoats"
that get the worst insults. The attitude of the ignorant and the uninformed
is that the way to not having to buy an extra seat when you fly is to lose
weight. Their are individuals whose body structure or who have other medical
conditions that make the need for additional seat space necessary.

    I've heard that on many charter flights this is less of a problem as
seating is far more luxurius and they tend to be wider. The standard seat
width in coach on a commercial airliner is 17 inches. Basically the policy
is that if you can't fit in that amount of space with both seat arms down
you must purchess an additional seat. Oh yes. And the airlines say it's FAA
policy and a matter of safety. Sound familliar? I checked both the FAA and
DOT Web Sites and did not find any such seating criteria on either one.
Again doesn't this sound familliar? These Passenger of Size, (POS) policies
are set by individual airlines and not the FAA as the airlines want you to
believe.

    If the move to require airlines to install extra-wide seating to better
accommodate passengers of size gathers momentum this could benefit guide dog
users as such seating would enable large dogs to fit under them more
comfortably hence something for us to consider and to possibly take a
position on in the future. Now I gotta go.

Peter Donahue