[nagdu] I Enjoy a Good Argument!

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 31 09:29:09 UTC 2009

Dear All,
    I wanted to write a brief message about this subject. Everyone should be fully aware that email messages do not convey one's tone very well. Sometimes written messages can be construed to be more terse than the writer actually intends because you do not hear the tone of voice that communicates such emotions as frustration, anger, or humor. As I read some of the messages I have written before sending them, I do my best to consider how my message may come across.
    This being said, I want everyone to know that I am not an absolutistic thinker. In other words, I do not believe that there is only one way to view an issue nor only one way to resolve a difference. Lately, we have discussed a few issues on which listers have expressed very strong opinions, such as the requirement for "Pet Tags" on a Florida beach, treatment of blind people by airlines, and whether or not we should harness our dogs in order to gain access. Though I have presented arguments based upon my opinion of what the law states can be required of us and what is required by the entity, I want to make it perfectly clear that I respect each individual's right to handle the situation in the manner they feel is best for them. My arguments are not intended to tell anyone how they "should" handle such a situation. If someone wants to avoid challenges to their access by harnessing their dog and believes this is the way they wish to conduct themselves, that is their choice; I want to let them know that the law does not require it! If someone wishes to present their identification in order to resolve an access issue, this, too, is their choice; the law does not require it. If someone wishes to obtain pet tags in order to gain access to a beach, this is their choice; the law does not require it. If someone wishes to tell the airlines or a hotel when they make a reservation that they will be accompanied by a service animal, this is their choice; the law does not require it.
    I do enjoy a good argument and hope we continue to argue such issues on this list! Many perceive arguing in a negative light; however, if we respect each other, presenting our arguments with dignity and respect, we will help to shape our opinions by the arguments presented by others. On the other hand, if we are unwilling to consider another's viewpoint, rigidly holding to our opinion out of some egotistical belief that there is an absolute right or wrong way to handle this and "I am always right!", we do ourselves an injustice by not allowing ourselves to expand our understanding.
    It is my sincere hope that this organization, under my leadership, will become the leading force in the affairs of service animal users and that we do so prudently. We have exciting plans for the future and I know we can count on our membership to advance these initiatives and our organization. In the words of Kenneth Jernigan, "Come! Join me and we will make it all come true!"

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala