[nagdu] poodles/labradoodles

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Tue Feb 3 13:41:49 UTC 2009

Hi Katie,

The Guide Dog foundation does train Standard Poodles. We trained Lab/Poodle
crosses, the proper name for first generation crosses rather than the more
popular Labradoodle, which is a second generation breeding and beyond.
Sorry, technical distinction. We have suspended our breeding program for
them though because some very undesirable traits such as suspicion and
allergies were cropping up and we wanted to figure out how to curb them. I
am not sure at this point if we will reintroduce the Lab/Poodle cross. I can
say though that I really like our Poodles. They are extremely bright yet
friendly and our puppy walkers for them are chosen carefully and generally
given some special instructions about raising Poodles.

>From what I've observed in my own retired Lab/Poodle and the Poodle guides
and puppies I've seen from GDF, the Poodle is a very visual dog. You have to
make sure puppies understand that they need to come to your hands and that
getting physical affection is really good. My Lab/Poodle was always standing
6 inches away from me, trying to engage me visually. We know a lot more
about them now than we did when I received her in 2005.

I can't speak for pure bred Standard Poodles, but the Lab/Poodles I have
known have functioned a lot like German Shepherds, very alert, able to
multi-task, liking activity. I know that's a broad generalization. They are
a lot of dog. When they, the Lab/Poodles, are good, they are incredibly good
but, like the children's rhyme, when they are bad, they're horrid. <grin>

I met an 8-month old Poodle puppy of ours recently and really wanted to
steal her. She was engaging, adorable but well behaved. Like any dog, some
breeds aren't for everyone and I don't know that I have the amount of work
for a Poodle right now, but their brains are a lot of fun to watch.