[nagdu] schools

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Thu Feb 19 14:51:57 UTC 2009

Hi, guys.

This brings up another interesting question.
Bob mentioned "certified schools". Now those of you who know me know I'm not
somewhat who splits hairs, but I would ask "certified by whom"?  As far as I
can tell, the guide dog industry is a self-regulating  industry here in the
US at any rate.
The only certification I could think of other than the US council of Guide
Dogs schools here would be that many of the schools are members of the
International Federation of Guide Dog Schools.

Also, would we want schools certified, I mean regulated, and then by whom?
Do we want the government involved like in some countries?
I suspect not but I'm just throwing it out as it's an interesting question.

I know the state of California has a guide dog board, but to be blunt what
I've heard about it is that it's a rubber stamp pretty much for the
California schools.
Enough for now but I have more thoughts on this.
For example, let's say someone got bad service and many people from a
particular school got bad service.  There's no certification or regulation
so what stops a particular school from producing more slip-shod work.
I'm not citing anyone here as I've met people with dogs from all the US
schools, I think, well with the exception of Ocupaws, and I've met people
who've had stellar experiences with all of them and people who have had
really, really bad luck from any and all.

We really have no way of knowing, for example, if let's say school X has a
lot of dissatisfied customers and as a result their applications go way down
one year, do we?
What if, say, a lot of people had unsafe dogs from School X and were
retiring them, we wouldn't know that either, you get my drift, I think.

Dan W. and the happy hounds