[nagdu] schools

Bob Clark bobclark4 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 19:07:38 UTC 2009

Hello Ron:

Thank you for your input.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Davidson <fuzzy_1 at cox.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:58 AM
To: NAGDU Mailing List,	the National Association of Guide Dog Users <nagdu at nfbnet.org>
Subject: Re: [nagdu] schools

When I decided to get a dog I went on a search through the internet and
looked at all the various schools. I had talked with several people that had
dogs and was somewhat familiar with things to look for.  I looked at student
to trainer ratio so I could tell how much one on one I would get with the
trainer. I looked at where they would train and the types of training like
train ,bus elevators etc. I looked at long they have been in business. I
tried to find out the return dog ratio and looked at the after you went home
policy as far as needing help would they. This is a big thing to remember
that if you have a problem with you dog not working right like running up on
curbs the follow-up from the school is very important. I think another
important thing is where they get their dogs . To me if raising their own or
buying from reputable breeders is much better than others. That is my
opinion. I also look at the various breeds available. All these are I think
are things to consider when choosing a school. I am sure there are others I
have forgotten. When you visit the school web site they all have contact
information and are more than willing to answer your questions. I  narrowed
my search down to two schools  somewhat because of location and picked one
after talking to a former graduate. The schools I chose were Seeing Eye and
Guiding Eyes and I chose Guiding eyes and am very happy but you need to make
your own decision on where would be best for you.