[nagdu] NAGDU and NFB centers

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Feb 23 17:56:15 UTC 2009

So we're going to discuss NFB center policy at the NAGDU meeting, again.
We've been discussing it since the centers started, at least 18 years, by
my reckoning, and we haven't made a damned bit of difference.  Policies
have changed and improved, but it's my understanding that came from a
lawsuit or two, not from any discussion with us.  I think frustration over
this issue was part of why Suzanne and Gigi decided to give up NAGDU
leadership, and I can totally understand that.

Twenty years ago, a friend of mine was told by Helen Keller Services in
New York that he had to put his dog in their kennel while he was there for
some testing.  We thought it was wrong.  But how can we fight against such
things, when our own centers do essentially the same thing?

Talk is good.  Discussion is good.  But it only works if both sides of the
discussion actually listen, and I'm not convinced that is happening.  It
seems to me that the center directors have their set ideas, and that's it.
 We can either go along, or go somewhere else.

I wouldn't expect to have my dog with me during cane class, of course.  I
could leave him elsewhere, probably, during cooking or woodshop, for his
own safety.  But I don't see why he couldn't be with me otherwise.  But
no, it's cane all the time, or don't bother to come here.  Glad I don't
need rehab.

Our lack of progress on this is very frustrating to me. If Wayne's center
in Texas can manage to integrate the guide dog into an NFB-style center,
then why can't NFB centers?
Tracy