[nagdu] dog guides and snow

Julie J. jlcrane at alltel.net
Tue Jan 6 02:37:00 UTC 2009

Lora,

I'm not sure how other teams handle snow.  I'll explain how my last guide
and I managed it.  I owner train though and might be the exception rather
than the norm.

We just trudge through where the sidewalk should be.  I'm not sure if she
could see a difference in how the snow lies, like if there's some ridge or
impression that she is following or what.  Or she might have visually
targeted the street corner where we want to end up.   I'm not sure how she
managed to keep her line, but she did it reliably.

I'm not comfortable walking in the street when there are snow piles along
the curb.  I can never tell exactly how far out in the street we are.  And I
definitely don't like walking in the street when it's busy.  I don't mind
going into the street for a small bit and then back up onto the sidewalk and
I don't mind walking along the curb when there is no sidewalk.  Around here
all the sidewalkless streets are pretty wide though.

Anyway I prefer the trudge straight through method.  So far it has worked
for me. Fortunately people are fairly decent about shoveling, so it's
usually only short stretches that we have to go through.

HTH
Julie