[nagdu] Clicker training, hot weather

Julie J. jlcrane at alltel.net
Tue Jan 20 14:38:10 UTC 2009

Dan,

Yes, I use clicker from the very beginning.  My current dog was taught all
of his obedience  and guiding concepts using the clicker.

The basic premise is that the "click" marks the exact moment that the dog
has done what you want.  The reinforcer, usually food, comes after the
click.  Typically shaping is used to guide the dog to the desired behavior.
Shaping simply means that you click and treat, (c/t), for increasingly
closer approximations of the behavior.

I taught Monty a paw touch this week.  I started by putting my hand palm up
very close to his foot.  Any touch of his body to any part of my hand got a
c/t.  Then I c/t for only any part of his leg.  then only his paw. Finally
only the pad of his foot on the center of my hand.  Next I will move my hand
to different places.   Each of those steps gets repeated a few times before
moving on to the next step.  I try to c/t no more than 5 seconds apart when
teaching a brand new concept.

Monty is an extremely fast learner and I tend to move pretty quickly with
him.  a dog new to clicker will most likely need tasks broken down into
smaller bits.  It sounds like it would take forever, but it doesn't really.
I taught the paw touch in 2 to 3 minutes.

I will say that the first couple of weeks using clicker are slow.  Dogs new
to clicker have to learn first that click means treat, which takes only a
couple of minutes.  the second and more important thing they have to learn
is that they can affect when they get a click by their actions.  Once the
dog gets that concept your training time will decrease and comprehension
will dramatically increase.

Clicker training is active learning.  the dog is actively trying to figure
out what you want and how to get you to click.  Other training methods are
passive meaning that the dog is being shown what to do.
There are lots of really good books and web sites on clicker training.
BookShare has a lot.  NLS has a few, but you might have to request an
interlibrary loan to get them.

I hope this explanation helps a bit.  this is the seriously abridged
version. *smile*

Julie