[nagdu] Clicker training, hot weather

AnnaLisa Anderson annalisa at sector14.net
Thu Jan 22 02:16:57 UTC 2009

Hi Dan,

Yes, I have used clicker training to teach Sunny to find elevator buttons
and trash cans.  It works fairly well, though she's not real good at
generalizing.  But once I know where a said elevator button or trash can is,
and I can show her where it is and c&t for finding it, then she will find it
again without fail.  Teaching her new things with the clicker has been far
more successful than just using praise words alone.  That would sometimes
work, but not always.  Teaching her the same task with the clicker, she
picks it up almost immediately and is much more likely to repeat the task,
even if no c&t is involved, in the hope that she will get the c&t.  I, like
many others, find the positive approach much more beneficial, and it's a lot
more fun too. <smile>

I don't have much to say about the hot weather, though I think your approach
is good.  It works the same for cold weather though, which we have in
abundance up here in MN this time of year.  Last week it didn't make it
above 0 even in the daytime for several days on end.  No, I did not leave
Sunny home, as I work 8.5 hour days, and I'm out of the house for about 10
hours. But she does okay with it, as long as we are not outside for an
extended time.  If she was really uncomfortable, as Marion said, I would not
take her.  But 10 hours is a long time to be left at home without the chance
to relieve, so it is not something I am comfortable doing often.

AnnaLisa and Sundance

Checked by AVG.
9:15 PM