[nagdu] Questions about Federal regs regarding paratransit

lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com
Mon Jan 26 22:03:08 UTC 2009

Hi Ann and Everyone,
I guess I was thinking of me (smile!) aboout taking the seat on the train!
Because of my arthritis and bad feet, I WANT a seat!  My main thing is about
us snapping nastily at people who want to help.

When I used to live in Boston, there was this blind woman who was incredibly
rude and nasty to anyone who tried to help her. I had pretty good vision
back then and I saw that the blind woman looked very incompetent in her
traveling.  She almost fell into a hole in the sidewalk.  The person who got
her head chewed off said to me that maybe she shouldn't help blind people
anymore after that treatment.  I told her that we are all different and to
always make sure she asked the blind person first.  Which she had done.

Here's a funny one:  I was waiting to cross a busy street in my neighborhood
and I didn't have a dog at that time.  This guy came up to me and asked if
he could help me across the street.  The guy was old and, I suspect he had
been in one of the nearby bars.  I took his arm and I helped HIM across the
street (which he needed himself - not I), thanked him, and had a good
chuckle!  That street was really hard to hear the traffic on and it was
snowy out.

No, I don't think we have to or should put up with people who do not respect
our wishes and our polite declining of their offer to help.  I just don't
think we need to be real obnoxious or nasty about it.  Firm, yes, by all
means!

Sorry for the less than clear post. (grin)

Linda and Landon