[nagdu] Next year's convention

Joy Relton jrelton at verizon.net
Thu Jul 16 13:02:57 UTC 2009

Oh Tami et al,

I was really beating myself up for my work through the crowds because I
didn't pick up on the floor plan and remember it as quickly as I wanted to.
I have to say that my Belle worked the crowds quite well and seemed pretty
unflappable. My only issue with her behavior was her desire to network with
the other dogs. She got the hang of it pretty quickly and stopped but I have
to say that there were a lot of dog guide users who seemed oblivious to
their dogs behavior as their dog would go straight for us and persist as we
moved out of their way. It's difficult in those types of situations not to
multitask but, I believe it is necessary to keep your dog focused on you,
and you on him/her.

Over all, though I believe that the dog guides showed themselves to be very
competent and professional. It was impressive to see many of them work so
beautifully through the crowds of people. We all need to remember to give
them an extra big pat for that work as it's difficult when you have so many
people moving through the crowds in unpredictable ways and at varying speeds
which makes it difficult for the dogs to anticipate and smoothly move the
user around.