[nagdu] My new dog

Ted Shelly tshelly at optonline.net
Thu Jul 23 23:53:32 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I have been home just over a week now with my new guide, Cruz, from the GDB
Oregon campus.  Cruz is a beautiful yellow lab and an excellent (though not
perfect!) guide.  He is undoubtedly a perfect companion and we are getting
on very, very well.  He is my first guide and I'm very happy to have him.

I've been taking him all over town and he does great, but has a tendency to
get distracted and start sniffing around.  He is also very fond of everyone
and is all to ready to jump all over people given half a chance.  But those
are pretty minor things, at least to me, and in general his guide work is
very good.

Our next big challenge will be a trip into New York City, as I live nearby.
I have a couple of concerns on that - getting him through subway turnstiles
and also finding a reasonable place to relieve him.  If there are any New
Yorkers out there who might have suggestions I would be grateful.

Ted