[nagdu] Lines in the sand?

Pickrell, Rebecca M (IS) REBECCA.PICKRELL at ngc.com
Tue Jun 9 14:27:20 UTC 2009

My first dog shed like there was no tomorrow. I have no idea why, and I
suspect she may have had a health problem that was undetected.
When I got her, I had been under the impression that "guide dogs are in
*perfect* health" and so was at a loss to deal with her shedding. I was
told "you need to brush her" to the point that when I hear or think of
that phrase, I want to scream. I could have spent all day brushing her
and she would have still shed.
At the time, all I knew about were the brushes that felt like
hair-brushes, I'd never heard of the zoom groom.
The idea of a dog having allergies was laughable to me. It wouldn't be
now, it was then.
I also didn't know that switching food was an option, I was under the
oppisite impression that switching food would ruin the dog training and
behavior-wise.
My only excuse is that I was young, I didn't have access to email lists
such as these, and my only experience with dogs was that I'd hang out
with the pets my family had, dogs who were fed table scraps, allowed to
roam off-leash, that sort of thing. They got their annual vaccines, but
that was about it.
I think Tami is right on, "dealing with the problem" is highly
subjective, and is based on a whole host of factors, some that the
handler may not even be aware of.