[nagdu] question

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 12:06:09 UTC 2009

Hi Lisa,

Since my back door leading to my back yard where my dogs take care of
business is located in the kitchen, then yes-- my dogs are in the
kitchen all of the time.

They are also in the kitchen when I'm cooking, doing laundry,
cleaning, or whatever.  I have have multiple disabilities which means
that my dogs need to be in the kitchen with me to alert me to sounds,
to retrieve dropped objects, to retrieve things from the fridge.

Counter surfing and eating food from the table is not acceptable what
so ever.  When my dog first comes to live in my home, I keep them on a
lead for a period of time ranging from a couple weeks to a couple of
months.
They learn appropriate behavior during this time and I use kitchen
time to enforce and practice obedience commands and other behaviors
expected in my kitchen.

Mill'E, my seven year old golden is a kitchen pro.  She lays out of
the way in a place where she can watch me and will retrieve or alert
if needed.  My Doberman, Laveau is still learning and although she can
be trusted to be in the kitchen with me, I don't trust her in there
alone.  A doberman's stomach can lead them into all kinds of temptation!

Rox