[nagdu] Preventing escapes

Jenine Stanley jeninems at wowway.com
Sun May 24 00:21:47 UTC 2009

The unfortunate situation in Indianapolis got me thinking and so I'll ask
folks here this question.

What steps do you take to prevent your dog from escaping out an open door?

If the dog has gotten out, what did you do to get him/her back?

I really do try to enforce the policy that the dog only goes through a door
outside when I give it the command to do so, in or out of harness. If a dog
starts barging through doorways, even ones inside buildings, I'll go back to
the class method and have the dog sit once it's stopped for the doorway, or
bring it back to heel and then sit.

This doesn't always make the dog door-proof, but it does help.

After shutting one of my dogs outside because I'd removed his leash and
harness on the porch while I opened the door, and obviously didn't give him
enough time to get in, I keep them leashed until they get inside.

Of course, most instructors will tell you that daily obedience is critical
for just these situations. Do we do it though? No comment. <grin>

 Jenine Stanley
jeninems at wowway.com