[nagdu] GDF Questions

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Sat Oct 31 07:18:16 UTC 2009

I did have one evaluation before I decided to owner-train.  It was only my
second ever Juno walk, so I didn't have much to go by.  So Juno stopped and
sniffed, and I gave what I considered apretty harsh leash correction, far
stronger than I was comfortable with.  So Ms. Juno insisted that next time
she sniffed I giver her a two-handed leash correction with every ounce of my
strength.  I complied, since it was just Juno, but...  I will confess that
my first thought was, "If that's all the better you can do at training your
dogs, I don't want one!"

Okay, so I grew up handling large animals, some of them dangerous, and I
know there's a time and a place to use physical force to prevent them from
harming you or themselves and that you had better not be kidding around.
Those animals outweighed me by 10 times or more.  Yeah, I could knock an 18
hand, 1750 (ish) pound mean Appy mare off her feet before I hit 100 pounds.
We will not discuss a father who would put his own child in a position to
need to do that on a somewhat regular basis.  She was his horse, and I
entirely understood why she was so vicious.  That did not mean I was going
to let her smoosh me.

So given my own life context, I really had a hard time with the very notion
of giving a dog that level of correction for sniffing. The two-handed bit
seemed much.  Which is not to say I won't turn Ms. Mitzi around in circles
if I need to.  Or needed to; she's not a pup in training anymore.  Even
downtown when she's in a mood for pigeon chasing, I don't have to use full
one-arm strength; I just stand there until she remembers what she's about or
just give a verbal reminder to pay attention.  She bounces a bit, but she
doesn't go all rodeo on me anymore.  /smile/

Anyway, it's good to hear others' experiences in assessment Juno walks.  I
know that when it's part of a home evaluation the assessor is looking for
certain things that they need to know to give you a good match...  I did
find that one incredibly off-putting, though.  Seriously, if she needed to
see how well I could correct a dog her organization trained with an all-out,
two-handed leash correction for sniffing...  She wasn't a trainer or
instructor, at least as far as I know, and I've met some very nice dogs from
that program who don't seem to need aggressive manhandling, so I know it was
a mistaken impression.  Still!

For the record, I have been mad enough at Mitzi at times to consider trying
that exact same maneuver. /smile/  Wonderful dog; very head strong.  Even a
very lightly sharp leash correction, however, has the exact opposite effect
I might want with her, though, so I stick to finesse.  Now that I don't even
have to do that on a consistent basis -- she saves her misbehavior up for
really special occasions -- I hardly know what to do with myself.  /smile/

Then again, there are always pigeons.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney