[nagdu] a question stemming from a hot debate

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 15 21:17:48 UTC 2009

Dar,

Mitzi, too, can be very clear in her preferences.  Even with Daisy's
Dad,whom she adores utterly. /smile/  There are times he can hold onto her
leash, and a cuople of times -- maybe even three -- in the year and a
quarter we've lived with him, she has gone out for him in the morning.  I do
not know how many times I've had to haul my lazy self out of bed at 5 am to
let her out because she clearly needs to go but won't go out the door for
him.  Sigh.

When I was sick a week or so ago, he tried using the leash and collar to get
her out so I wouldn't have to get up, but she wouldn't let him get her past
my bedroom door.  /smile/  At least she let him put the collar on; I'm not
sure she would do that for anybody else.  Well, I don't need to worry about
someone walking off with my dog.  Even when she's in shameless hussy mode,
the rule is definitely hands off the gear!  And I have to remember to remind
our vet techs and groomers that they need to ask me for the least instead of
taking it out of my hand, because if they do it's a no-go, and I'm not going
to encourage her to do differently.

It's funny when we're out, because DD will use our guide commands to direct
me, then I will tell Mitzi.  She will obey his commands if we're on "follow
Dad" but otherwise, I'm the one who has to give them.

Strange critters, aren't they?  But I'm glad she won't just go off with
anyone or allow others to take the harness handle or anything like that.

Tami Smith-Kinney