[nagdu] owner training

Michelle m-johnson at bigpond.com
Sat Apr 3 21:55:50 UTC 2010

I find it amazing that people can train their own guide dogs. I've never
been taught about that, ever, except for when I've read stuff on this list.
I never thought people could train their own dogs for service work. It all
fascinates me.

On that note the reason I wouldn't even try to train my own dog to become a
guide dog is (1) because I have no vision and (2) I think there would be too
much commitment and way too much hard work for me. I like the idea or
organisation-trained guide dogs because I can work with that particular
training program which has already been put in place from when the dog was a
pup. So all it takes is for me to use the same program to teach him new
stuff, like finding a new location and so on. It makes it a lot easier for
me, and at least I have an instructor to help me keep on track! (smile)

But for those that have owner-trained dogs, good luck with them. I hope they
don't wear you down too much! Peace out.

Michelle