[nagdu] blind puppy raisers

AnnaLisa Anderson annalisa at sector14.net
Wed Aug 4 00:59:42 UTC 2010

Hi Meghan, Jordan and Danielle, and anyone else here who raises puppies for
a school.

I think that is really awesome that there are blind puppy raisers like you
guys out there.  Who better to teach a puppy about guide work than a guide
dog handler?  I personally think those pups will have an edge, they will
have already seen firsthand how the job is done by watching their big
brother or sister dog every day growing up.  Awesome!!  I wonder how many
schools actually do this?  I know lots of raisers from Leader, but don't
think they have any blind raisers, especially raisers who are also handlers.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.  Anyway I really admire you guys for doing
it.  Just a few questions though.

I know puppies can be very sneaky and quick.  How do you know if they have
made a mess somewhere, or if they get a hold of something they shouldn't?  I
remember when my sister's golden was a pup, and I have a good raiser friend
here in town who has a regular golden goat puppy, and it seems like they as
sighted people are always running up to the pup and grabbing something out
of their mouth.  Do you just keep a leash on them at all times, or do they
wear a bell or something, so you know where they are and can quickly grab
them if necessary?  Also, do you find it hard to divide your attention
between your guide and your pup when you're out working?  I'm just really
curious. I've never raised a puppy myself, nor do I think I want to, too
much work. <smile>  That's why I go to a school so all the dirty work is
done for me. <smile>  All that dedication and hard work, makes me tired just
thinking about it.  Kudos to you all!

AnnaLisa and Sundance