[nagdu] blind puppy raisers

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Wed Aug 4 12:56:43 UTC 2010

AnnaLisa,

I have only puppy raise for myself and my last two dogs have been older
puppies, 8-9 months, old.  But neither was fully housebroken.  Anyway here
are some of the things I did.

Puppy proof the house.  I take everything off of low tables, shelves and off
the floor that a dog might get into.  Later I reintroduce them bit by bit as
I trust the dog.

With Belle I kept her on leash with me to monitor what she was doing.  The
first few days I offer very frequent opportunities to relieve, like every
two hours.   With Monty I didn't use the leash because he is my velcro dog.
He never strayed more than two feet from me for the first six months.  I did
shut all the doors to limit his access just in case he would wander off.

I think Belle had been housebroken harshly because she would try to sneak
off to go.  It took her a long time to get over the fear of having people
around when she went.  I'm remembering that it took most of the year of her
training to get her to relieve on leash.

Monty didn't seem to care at all.  He'd pee on the carpet 6 inches away from
you, which made it very easy to catch him and take him outside.  He was a
stray before I got him and would drink insane amounts of water.  Once I
started rationing the water housebreaking was very easy with him.

I don't use bells on their collars around the house, but the tags would
jingle enough so I could hear them.  Honestly I worry more when they're
quiet. *smile*  I also used crates to help keep them out of trouble when I
couldn't directly supervise.

Still accidents happen.  I've cleaned up my fair share of spots on the
carpet, feather pillows, Kleenex, shredded magazines and all sorts of other
stuff.  I never punish the dog for getting into stuff, well I try really
hard not to.  I simply tell them no, take the object and offer an
appropriate thing to chew on and praise them for taking it.  If I don't find
the mangled object until later I just clean it up.

To teach loose leash walking , I work a lot in the front yard at first.  I
don't use my cane there.  I have also used my cane and had the dog on leash.
I have also worked one dog and had the other on leash.  Although with this
method I have had the best success with both dogs on the left.  the dog in
harness is slightly ahead in the regular position.  The dog on leash is
behind and a bit further out to the left.   I've tried having the dog on
leash on the right and I find that it interferes with my ability to use hand
signals with my guide.   Also I don't teach a true "heel", I teach loose
leash walking.

HTH
Julie