[nagdu] negative experiences was Puppy raising

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Thu Aug 5 22:55:29 UTC 2010

Rebecca,

I have wondered this for years.  I have noticed when someone says something
even approaching negative about a school, any school, a ton of graduates
from that particular program will chime in with how they didn't experience
x, y or z.  Frequently the satisfied graduate will continue on with how they
can't understand how the dissatisfied individual could have possibly had
that experience.  Then this will be followed up with a suggestion to call
Mr. So-and-So from the school so things can get straightened out.

While I don't have any issue with hearing both ends of the satisfaction
scale, it has always sort of bothered me that frequently the bad experiences
are discounted as someone overreacting or just being picky.  I don't
understand why expressing your feelings about a bad experience is any less
valid than relating a good one.

In reference to Dan's point about fear of repercussions from the
program...it makes sense, but it disturbs me greatly.  What can we do?  The
only idea that comes to mind is some sort of Consumer Reports thing.  A
survey of a random sample of graduates of the various programs about their
experiences.  Of course this would mean the schools would have to cooperate.

The GDUI school survey is an excellent tool to compare the components of the
guide dog schools.  Why not supplement this info with a handler satisfaction
survey? This would give a really thorough overview of what to expect.  It
might also get programs with low customer service ratings to improve.

I'm just chock full of ideas lately. LOL
Thoughts?
Julie