[nagdu] I think this point is importent for cross-posting:Re:[nabs-l] Blind man sues Wienerschnitzel over run-in with tree

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sun Aug 15 00:14:50 UTC 2010

Cheryl,

No, not exactly.  A cane when used properly does nothing in the way of
detecting or avoiding overhead obstacles.  There are really only two ways to
avoid overhead obstacles as a cane user: notice the change in auditory
feedback or smack into them and remember to go around the next time.  The
article does state that the man has some hearing loss.

I am not going to express an opinion of whether or not the man should pursue
the lawsuit or what impact that might have on the future of blind people.

I think we need to be very careful about harshly judging others.    How can
we possibly know what is right for this man?  If he was injured and unable
to work, are his kids going to be hungry because of this accident?  Would it
make a difference if he had asked for the branch to be trimmed previously
and his requests were ignored?  Would it matter if there are laws about
sidewalks being clear for *all* pedestrians?  What if the man doesn't have
insurance and the only way to get medical treatment paid for is through his
legal action?

Again, I am pleading for empathy and understanding before judgment and
criticism.

Julie