[nagdu] Consumer report

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 23:19:59 UTC 2010

Hi Mark,

I'm now an owner trainer but got my first two dogs from GDB.  Keep in
mind this was eleven years ago.
Their ownership policy has not changed; you do not own the dog upon
graduation, you must wait a year before applying for ownership, and
you must have had one successful follow-up visit in order to qualify
for ownership.  They can choose to grant ownership or not and I am not
sure if the ownership document itself is conditional or not.

I had a huge problem with this.  I also did not like the mandatory
yearly follow-ups by instructors and felt like the program did not
trust me with the dog and like my personal space was being invaded.
My dogs came with several serious health conditions, however the
training was thorough and they worked well.  I felt like some staff
treated me in a very custodial fashion.  At GDB, you meet the puppy
raisers and have contact with them if you choose.  I had a great
relationship with my first dog's raisers, but not so much with raisers
for dog number two who seemed to be unable to let go of the dog.  This
experience has changed my feelings about raiser contact after
graduation.

Because of these, and many other reasons, I chose not to go back.  In
the future, when I require a program dog it will be from a place which
gives immediate ownership and does not follow-up unless it is requested.

Keep in mind that these are just my experiences.  Others have had
great experiences with GDB and other schools.  It is my desire to
share in an open and honest way, not to program bash.
Good luck choosing a program.

Rox and the Herbal HenchHounds:
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm
not sure about the universe."-Albert Einstein
http://www.pawpowercreations.com
pawpower4me at gmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl