[nagdu] Why people don't criticize schools

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Mon Aug 23 14:26:36 UTC 2010

I've been thinking about this some.
People have a relationship with their school, at least many do, that feels
different than a relationship with most businesses.  I spend a month at my
school, at least in the beginning.  I work closely with my trainer at
least twice a day, and probably more than that.  I have lunch with the
staff, and most meals with one trainer or another.  When I go home, I'm
encouraged to call the school if I have problems, or just to let them know
about something particularly great my dog has done for me.  And I go back
every 5-10 years.  I think this is a pretty fair synopsis of the school
experience, and it makes sense to me that many people feel like they have
a friendly relationship with their school. They have something of an
investment in it, if only in time (and perhaps more than time.)
So people want to put their school in the best light, and can get
defensive if they feel someone else is running it down.

I agree with Susan.  It's OK to point out areas in specific programs that
could use improvement, and to name names, but it has to be done with some
sensitivity.  We want to be welcoming to everyone.  I may think some
school is pretty poor, but there are people on this list with a dog from
there who are quite happy and doing well with that dog, and I have to
respect that.
Just my thoughts.
Tracy