[nagdu] Freedom for guide dogs

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 1 16:28:32 UTC 2010

Gary,

Exactly!  Are you sure Boart is not Mitzi's secret twin?  /grin/  I do a lot
of the random recall with treats and party (overly excited praise), then
happy play, before she goes off again to do her thing.  That way, recall
doesn't mean time to go.  When we started on boundaries, failing to follow
boundaries meant going back on restriction -- aka the leash and heel --
using the clicker to reward boudnaries, as well as continued freedom.  If
there's one thing Mitzi hates, it's having to have her stsyle cramped by
such inconveniences as a leash and insistence on good manners when there's
running and sniffing and playing to be done!  /grin/

Getting to know people at the park is also helpful, as you say, plus it's
fun to hang with other dog people while you're there anyway.  /smile/

Tami Smith-Kinney