[nagdu] a couple questions

solsticesinger solsticesinger at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 16:09:16 UTC 2010

For many people, ownership of the dog is a very big deal. There have been
stories of schools deciding to take a dog away from its handler for less
than legitimate reasons. Also, when it comes to the health and/or retirement
of your dog, you have much more say if you own the dog, than if you simply
have custody of it. Obviously, not all schools abuse their power of
ownership, but the point is that it can happen, and, if this is a concern of
a perspective handler, then a school that grants ownership immediately would
be the place to go.

When I got my first dog in 1997, I did not own her. GDF was very, very
supportive of me, even through her siezure disorder. They did not insist
that I retire her, although they did recommend it. When the time for
retirement did come, they strongly advised against keeping her, but, when I
made it clear that I planned to do it, they didn't argue with me. So, I was
very lucky.

When I returned to the school in 2005, I got to choose whether I wanted
ownership or custody of Caroline. I chose ownership. My relationship with
the foundation hasn't changed. Again, I am lucky.

I don't know what experience you've had with ownership, but, just because it
doesn't seem important to you, it's very important to an awful lot of
people, each of whom has his or her own reasons for this concern.

Shannon and Caroline
Are you a fan of women's music? If so, join me, each Wednesday evening from
7-10 eastern, for The Eclectic Collection: a Celebration of Women In Music.
Point your media player to:
http://mojoradio.us:9090