[nagdu] Expected DOJRuling in Next Few Weeks

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 2 12:38:48 UTC 2010

Julie,
    You ask an excellent question. Though I am not an attorney, so my
opinion is worth less than my 2 cents, I believe you are correct in your
assertion that a guide horse would be an acceptable service animal under
state statutes that do not specify species. Remember way back in the 1980s
and before when there was no federal protection for service animal users? We
did have state laws that provided us with access! States may make laws that
offer broader protections than federal laws, but not those that are more
restrictive. Florida's law is an example of one that defines service animals
more bbroadly. I guess it would be a matter of interpretation and, of
course, there may also be some other legal concepts I may be missing, too! I
hope some of our legal professionals weigh in on this question for us!

Fraternally yours,
Marion