[nagdu] Explaining to parents that guide dogs are useful

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Wed Feb 10 19:23:17 UTC 2010

Mark,

Welcome to the list!  There are list members who are just starting into
their college years with their first guide dogs.  There are other older list
members who got their first guides during high school or in college.
There's definitely a lot of pros for using a guide dog, but it's not  always
a walk in the park, so to speak.

Can you think of reasons that your parents might not want  you to get a
guide dog?
How are your cane skills?  Have you demonstrated a high level of
responsibility in other areas of your life?  Do they like dogs?  Are they
unsure about your leaving home and going off to college?   Do they tend
toward over helpfulness and feel the dog isn't necessary?  Are they clean
freaks and feel the dog will mess up the house?  Are they self conscious or
embarrassed by being seen in public with a blind person?  Would they  feel
"on display" if they were seen in public with you and your guide dog?  Are
they concerned about possible expenses?  Do they feel that you are doing
just fine and guide dogs are only for people who can't travel independently?
Have you or your parents ever had an opportunity to meet a guide dog team in
person?

You don't have to answer any of those questions.  It's just stuff to think
about.  I think at one time or another with various friends and family all
of the above issues has come up in my life.

Hopefully you will be able to figure out what the underlying issue is so you
can move forward.

Again, welcome to the list!
Julie
NAGDU list moderator