[nagdu] nagdu

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Fri Feb 19 19:26:23 UTC 2010

Hi Jennifer,
Welcome to the NAGDU List!

I'm Lyn and I work with my eighth guide named Landon.  He is a 4 year old
Lab/Golden cross and he's from the Seeing Eye. We live in Southern
California.

Are you a young person who still lives with your parents?  I think it's a
good thing to have your parents agree to the dog if you are bringing it into
their home. This is something I never had to deal with since I was 22 and on
my own - living in another city - when I got my first guide.  My parents
thought it was great and I never had any problems with them.

It gets tricky when you are still living at home with the parents and they
don't want a dog.  Well, what my parents used to say to us kids is, "When
you are under my roof, you'll do as we ask."  If you are still at home, you
may have to do this and wait until you're on your own before getting a dog.

The schools will not place a dog into a home where there are people who will
object to the dog's presence.  Some families have even insisted on the guide
dog living in the garage!  This is absolutely NOT permitted - the dog must
live in the home with you, sleep in the house.

If there is strife and stress in the house because people don't want the dog
there, it can affect your dog in many bad ways - everything from causing
emotional problems in the dog which can lead to behavioral problems in the
dog. The dog will not be happy in that envirnment, and it will adversly
affect the dog's work.

Take care, pick our brains - we are folks who are thinking of getting dogs,
have our first dog, and all levels of experience here! LOL

Regards,

Lyn and Landon