[nagdu] Get control of that dog

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Sat Feb 20 12:06:00 UTC 2010

Michelle,

I had a couple more thoughts...

I used to know someone who had a separate "leave it" cue for when people
would reach to pet the dog.   So for example "leave it" would be used if the
dog was showing interest in food on the floor.  And something like, "bad
dog" would be used when other people tried to pet the dog.  The dog made no
negative connection with the "bad dog" phrase, but it would be clear to the
people that they had gotten the dog in trouble.  I haven't had my coffee yet
so I have no clue if I am explaining this at all understandably. *smile*

Another line I thought of is, "I know you care about me and that you want to
help, so here is what you can do to help me..." then just insert whatever it
is that you would like the person to do.  Telling the other person that you
recognize that they care seems to give them the warm fuzzies that they are
trying to get through the "help".  But phrasing it like that gives you the
control over what help you will accept.  I've used it a couple of times with
good success.

Best of luck,
Julie