[nagdu] guide dogs

The Pawpower Pack pawpower4me at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 03:24:10 UTC 2010

Jennifer,

It isn't wrong to tie a dog out when on the computer.  Like Julie
said; what may be wrong for someone may be exactly what someone else
needs to do in order to have a smoothly working relationship with
their dog.

For example, I don't ever tie my dogs out.  The only time they are
confined to crates are when they are ill and I can't watch them. I am
Deafblind and my dog performs tasks for me other than guiding and she
can't do those tasks if she is confined by crate or tie out.  It would
be a bad idea for me to confine my dog while I am either sleeping or
on the computer because she can't alert me to a smoke alarm or bring
me the phone if she's confined.  However a person's who's disability
is 	strictly blindness does not need their dog to work in the home and
their dog may engage in undesirable behaviors such as scrounging for
food or destructive chewing while its handler is sleeping or otherwise
occupied such as on the computer.  these behaviors may necessitate
confinement for the dog for its own safety and so that the handler can
get other tasks accomplished in the home without concentrating on the
dog.

Everyone is different and every dog is different.

Good luck.

Rox and the Kitchen Bitches
Bristol (retired), Mill'E SD. and Laveau Guide Dog, CGC.
"It's wildly irritating to have invented something as revolutionary as
sarcasm, only to have it abused by amateurs." -- Christopher Moore
pawpower4me at gmail.com

Windows Live Only: Brisomania at hotmail.com
AIM: Brissysgirl Yahoo: lillebriss