[nagdu] nagdu

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 00:39:19 UTC 2010

With all due respect, Michelle, I must point something out regarding
your statement in a previous message to Jennifer. You said, in part,
"Just tell them that even though you can get around with a cane, a dog
would be an additional aid for you, as the dog can see where it's
going and can respond to situations and obstacles quicker than your
cane can!" Yes, a dog can see where it's going, but I'm not sure I'd
base getting a dog on this fact. Let's take the idea of a dog guiding
around obsticles further, since die heart cane users will tell you
that they have no trouble in getting around obsticles either. Let's
say that you live in a large town or city and that there are some
hybrid or quiet cars around in your area. You can't hear the cars with
your ears alone, but a dog can see the car and make appropriate
adjustments. Granted this is just one area and it shouldn't be the
basis for getting a guide dog either, but it's definitely a real
example and possibility these days. That was one of my concerns when I
was considering the guide dog and why I got one. Also, today's traffic
conditions are a lot more troublesome for the pedestrian, drivers are
more aggressive, and you may not detect that car that's zipping
through the light until it's too late. The various guide dog schools
and organizations like the NFB are doing their part to help fix these
situations, but they are very real situations that can happen to
anyone, sighted or blind, dog or cane user, no matter what the NFB and
guide dog schools do or don't do. It's where we live today. If you're
in a rural area, you may not have to worry about high traffic
conditions, but sooner or later the quiet/hybrid cars are going to
find their way into the country as well. And at times like those, I
want a guide dog by my side.

Thoughtfully,
Wayne