[nagdu] Shaman was attacked by a pit bull

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 08:33:20 UTC 2010

Hi every one, On Tuesday I had to go to my Doctor's appointment. On my way
to the bus station after my appointment, I was crossing the very busy
intersection of Oracle and Wetmore. I had the light and was about 3 quarters
of the way across when a car turned and passed right in front of Shaman and
I. Shaman stopped, but the car was very close to us.After that car had
passed,and we had taken 3 steps forward,yet another car cut us off. Shaman
stopped for both of these incidents. I have the right of way,when the
crossing light in on. Also the white cane law gives me the right of way.
People just don't seem to care. I have complained about this same situation
occurring in the past,but no one ever does any thing about it. There have
been many wheelchair users hit in Tucson,myself included. Does any one have
any suggestions?Also, once I got on the bus, I told the driver where I
needed to get off.Well the driver missed my stop and let me off on the
opposite side of another busy intersection, Grant and Stone. This was in
rush hour traffic.I never use this stop as it is very hard to get on the
sidewalk because of the gravel. There are also many uneven places in this
sidewalk as well as some major drop offs. I complained to the driver about
missing my stop and he got very rude. After struggling, I finally managed to
get on the sidewalk. I stopped to make a call to the bus company to make a
complaint about the driver. The man on the other end of the phone was also
rude.Just then a dog was running loose in the street and almost got hit. As
the dog ran down the sidewalk towards Shaman and I, It ran passed us.Shaman
was distracted, but did not growl or bark at it. The dog turned around, came
back and attacked Shaman. I grabbed my cane which was folded up and hit the
dog several times and it finally ran off.There were people standing around
but no one made any attempt to help us. I asked if any one knew who owned
that dog and one man said it was owned by the black couple that had walked
by me just before the dog attacked Shaman. If that couple did indeed own it,
they made no attempt to call their dog of Shaman. They just continued to
walk away.I was told the dog was a pit bull and was not even wearing a
collar or liscense tag. By this time I was so angry, I just got across the
street and went home. I knew that the police and animal control would do
nothing as they never do,so I didn't even call them. I have been working
with Shaman because he has a problem of growling at other dogs. This is
because of a man who walks his 2 pit bulls by my house and makes them fight
my dogs through the fence.This has effected Shaman and he growls and barks
at dogs now.I had been taking him to PetsMart to get him used to being
around the dogs and his behaviour was a lot better. He only had a small cut
from the pit bull and I took care of it, but he has been traumatized by the
attack.I had to take him for his rabies shot on Wednesday. When he was at
the shot clinic, he growled at several dogs that got too close to him. He
also barked and growled at a terrier dog that had the same markings as the
dog that attacked him.I just hope I can get him over this behaviour
again.      Mardi and Shaman and Nala,retired.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/