[nagdu] First cane walk!

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Thu Jun 17 09:16:55 UTC 2010

You have gotten advice from a number of people about cane tips.  The
tip just pushes over the flange at the bottom of the cane.  This is
the only kind of tip made for this cane -- so others you see on-line
may not fit.  One advantage to NFB tip is that it just pushes on, so
comes off easily even if cane has had a hard life.  Some other tips
screw on, or are attached in another way, and water, salt, etc. can
make it difficult or impossible to get them off, making the cane
worthless when the tip wears out and can't be removed.

As you point 0out, part of the purpose of the cane is to make a
sound, which helps in navigating.

As a person gets better with a cane, they tend to move more quickly
and things don't get hung up as often.  You also narrow your tapping
pattern to what you need to protect yourself and don't get hung up on
side obstacles.

Tip preference is a personal thing.  I would urge you to give the
metal/rubber tip a little more time.  If it doesn't ultimately work
for you, finding something else may be trial and error, and may not
be successful.

Dave

                         David Andrews:  dandrews at visi.com
Follow me on Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/dandrews920