[nagdu] o/t reasons why I choose Norwegian Cruise Lines for my Group Cruises questions from the blind and especially guide dog users

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 17 15:43:33 UTC 2010

I realize this may be off topic, but I am sending this to a couple of lists.
So hope you will be patient and learn something for the future.

The 2 groups that I have one was for the National Association of Guide Dog
Users, and one is for the Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind, Inc.  so if
you are a graduate and want to know more about either cruise or other
cruises NCL has please let me know.

A number of you have e-mailed me that I have chosen Norwegian Cruise Lines
over some of the others, to the point I was told I must have been crazy,
don't you know a number of us have been on them in the past and were treated
terribly and also with our dogs.

Again, I am sure it did happen.  But I am also sure as myself who is blind
and has a guide dog that:

1. I have been on the cruise lines and had no issues at all.

2. A person who I know and contacted me recently, had issues with
reservations and access desk were told information that was totally wrong,
and I just got off the phone with Ms. Cathy Vasquez, the head of the
Accessibility Department with Norwegian Cruise Lines, after tweeting Mr.
Andy Stuart who is the Executive Vice President and Chief Product Officer,
he does answer all tweets and if you are on twitter his twitter name is
nclandy, he takes all complaints and concerns very seriously, the he gave
Ms. Vasquez, my phone no and got off the phone with her just now so that I
can let you all know what transpired.

3.  IF you are blind, no you do not need a sighted person with you to
travel.  You are given tours of the ship so that you are familiar with your
surroundings of the vessel since each vessel is different.  For guide dogs
who are welcome on board all NCL Ships, a designated area of the ship is
dedicated to you dog, whether one dog on board or 100, plus the staff is
responsible for clean up after your dog, you also have a choice of material
in the box for your dog.  The elevators and each level have in Braille where
you are and on the stateroom doors.

4. They are also dedicated to all needs of all people with disabilities
whether you need a wheelchair accessible stateroom which should be indicated
at time of booking because not only on NCL but all cruise lines they are
limited.  To the type of foods or dietary needs that you may have, etc.

I am sending this out because I do not want to offer fundraising to groups
or to the individual that doesn't meet all standards to everyone and not
just us the blind.

For shame on me if I do that, I specialize in educating the blind and
disabled, since I myself am Blind, Kidney Transplant recipient who was on
dialysis and that others may need to have dialysis on any kind of vacation.
To being an amputee on some of my toes.

Once I get the e-mail from Ms. Vasquez and all updates need I will post to
all of you.

Thank you.  Even if I am not your travel agent, and you need help with these
issues, let me know, the expedia and the Orbitz or travelocities wont does
this for you since they work for the next sale, I work to make sure you are
all enjoying and being safe and secure on your trip, if not then I should
not be in this business.

Take care.

Cheryl Echevarria
Independent Travel Consultant