[nagdu] harness signs

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 10 00:51:50 UTC 2010

Tracy,

I'm sort of halfway in between.  I've been going around as a blind woman for
long enough that I'm used to a lot of the, er, crud one gets, whether as a
guide dog user or a cane user.

I do try to bear in mind that, whether I like it or not, I somehow represent
people's view of blind people, women, guide dog users, etc., etc.,
everywhere.  I'm currently in the phase of adjustment where that knowledge
just makes me mad, to be perfectly honest.  /evil grin/  It's not that I
don't care, per se.  It's just that I don't, you know, care.  /lol/

I do believe that gender differences play a big role in how we're treated as
blind women, just as they do in how we're treated as women period.  It's
changed a lot since I was a sweet young thing, but...  It's still definitely
there.  Our gender also affects how innocent bystanders view our response to
any give situation.  If I'm a big, strong, husky fella and somebody comes up
to harrass me, I can be all verbally obnoxious, then deck them, and it's all
good.  Okay, that may be extreme, but...

As a woman, even if I had the physique to deck the above-referenced bozo, I
am a total, er, you know what, if I don't smile sweetly and take it.

I think it's good to be aware of that reality, but I will admit that with
the new level of obnoxiousness from total strangers I can't even see these
past few years, that awareness gives me lots of stomach acid!

I'm pretty much to the place where, if civil discourse or overdone sugar
sweetness doesn't do the trick, I will go for effing rude.  Wishing I was a
big, strong, husky fella who could just deck the person who's in my way this
time.  /grin/

Ah, well.  We've come a long, as blind people, as women or men, and as guide
dog users.  So I guess we each have to learn how to keep moving ourselves
and each other along in our own individual away.

Still!  There are a few people I would love to go back and retroactively
deck if I ever wake up one morning with Slayer Powers or some such.  /grin/
That's just the kinda girl I am, I guess.

Tami Smith-Kinney