[nagdu] presentation about blindness

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Tue Mar 16 11:23:53 UTC 2010

I think it's a fear of the unknown.  Doing normal everyday things while
being blind is outside of the scope of most folks knowledge or ability to
imagine.

When I've talked to third graders about blindness I demonstrate the use of
the cane.  Each time I touch something with it, I say, AhHa! I found a chair
or whatever. I want them to know it's okay and necessary that I touch things
with my cane.  Somehow they get the idea that if I tap something with my
cane I must be lost.  I want them to know that touching things with my cane
is exactly how I figure out where I am.

Anyway it worked very well with the classes I talked to.

Best of luck,
Julie