[nagdu] convention?

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 31 05:14:52 UTC 2010

Julie,

I went to the one in southern California as an office function way back in
'90.  It was just as you described, and I absolutely adored it!

I think we have one here, and every now and I think it would be great to
go...  My only thing is that I'm not sure how I would manage to cope with
not seeing horses.  And the jousting and so forth that involves the horses.
I actually used to know a bit about the studs they use here, and I've seen
pictures of them, but that was awhile ago, I guess.  Still, I love dressage
-- which grew out of that knightly military tradition -- and I love those
more true to original style breeds.  I love watching them in action doing
all that knightly stuff in the show...

I would undoubtedly throw myself over the balcony to try to watch them by
hand just knowing they are there.  /grin/  It would add something new to the
show, I guess.  I'm not sure what.

Other than wondering if I can keep my hands off the horses, I'm really
looking forward to going here sometime.  In '08, I thought it would be
really fun to go with other blind people who couldn't see the action,
either, because then we would all be appreciating it without having to see
it, and that would be way cool....  On of these years.  /grin/

Mitzi, oddly enough, does really well at stuff like that -- dark, loud,
raucous.  I hesistated the first time I even considered having her stick her
nose into something like that, but I wanted to see how she would do if I
introduced her to that sort of thing...  She wanted to check it out, so we
went further in, she found some friends of ours, so we sat with them, and
she just settled down and enjoyed herself.  Strangest thing.  I would not
have believed that in a million years, especially since she was still barely
18 months old at that time and just as jumpy, flighty, busy, etc., as she
could be when everything was all low key and dog friendly.  Heck, she still
will levitate in her sleep over some slight noise that's different, even if
Daisy doesn't hear it.  She's just a very, very alert dog and very sensitive
to and aware of things in her environment.

There is no way on earth she should not go insane in loud places like rowdy
bars and the like.  But, no, it's all good there, she's having fun, just
doing her job and taking life easy.

I will never understand that dog.  /smile/  I like her, though.

Tami Smith-Kinney