[nagdu] Raw diet for guide dogs

Tara Annis TAnnis at afb.net
Fri May 7 13:04:32 UTC 2010

HI everyone!

I have been reading the NAGDU list for awhile, but this is the first time I have posted.  I have a female black lab from GDB, and was considering feeding her a raw food diet.  I read several books about this from BookShare, such as Keep your dog healthy the natural way, the barf diet for dogs and cats, and the dr. pritikin  book.
Has anyone on this list tried this diet?    How was the transition from dry kibble  to raw food?  Has your guide dog gained more muscle?  Does your dog have less health problems?
After reading these books, I've found there are differences in the amount of meat, grains, fruit, and vegetables  you should feed your dog.  The barf diet says to basically use very little grain, and to focus on raw meat and bones.  You can grind the bones up, in order to prevent choking.   The keep your dog healthy advocates for more grain, saying that a dog does not need as much protein for optimum health.
I already use a natural ear cleaner, give my dog only purified water, and use a natural conditioner for her fur.    From these changes from chemical to natural, I've seen better health in my dog, so I can definitely say that natural and holistic does work for dogs.
I'd love to hear any feedback you guys have.

Tara