[nagdu] Comparing Harnesses

Julie J julielj at windstream.net
Tue May 11 22:14:34 UTC 2010

Nicole,

I don't have a program issued harness.  I do have  a leather harness made by
LDS.  Just for comparison I dug it out of the back of the closet this
morning and put it on Monty.  It was made for Belle so it only fits Monty so
so.

He didn't run and hide like Belle used to, but he didn't seem quite as
enthusiastic either.   It wasn't rubbing anyplace that I could tell that
would make wearing this harness a bad idea.

I worked him all morning in this harness.  Here's what I immediately
noticed-
it's louder.  I'm not used to the harness making any noise but when the
handle and D rings on the harness move against each other, it makes noise.
I know some of the program harnesses have little thingies that cushion the
connector so it is quiet.  Also the newer GDB harness doesn't have moving
parts in the connection so I'd imagine it's quiet.

Next I noticed that I feel a lot more side to side wobble.  I noticed this
when I went on a test walk with one of the GDB dogs in the Swiss harness.
With my nylon harness I feel next to none of this wobble.  I know I'm not
explaining it well, but I can't think of another word besides wobble.

When I got to work I noticed that Monty had a more difficult time getting
settled under my desk.  He went under immediately, but he moved around more
and I don't think he ever fell asleep.  this could be because the harness
felt different or he was just not tired or something else.  Because he
typically wears a nylon harness I Usually leave it on him at work.  I think
if I used a leather harness I would take it off.

Just some idle observations,
Julie

al Message -----