[nagdu] A thing I teach my dogs

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed May 12 15:23:20 UTC 2010

It's not so easy to teach.  I start in a place I know well, like the deli
near work, where the line goes along the side of the counter.  I get my
dog to move slowly up along the counter until either I hear the person in
front of me (the end of the line) and/or my dog stops or tries to go
around.  While I'm doing this I tell him "Get in line".  If he tries to go
around, I tell him gently No, get in line.  Then it becomes like Follow,
where the person he is following is the person in line in front of me.
Ben is pretty good at it, though he sometimes misses the line for the bus.
 That line kinda goes along a big area of sidewalk.  It's hard for me to
hear where the people are, and to know when he's going around poles and
stuff, or going around people in line.  But even there he's doing pretty
well, unless some pig has thrown a bagel on the ground Benny is angling to
get.
Tracy