[nagdu] A thing I teach my dogs

AnnaLisa Anderson annalisa at sector14.net
Wed May 12 23:33:37 UTC 2010

Hi All,

Well, I haven't specifically "taught" Sunny how to stand in lines, but she
can do it pretty well.  She is very good at follow, so when we are in a
line, I keep a hold of her harness and she usually will slowly walk forward
when the person ahead of her moves. If she tries to move too far ahead, I
will pull back on the harness a bit and tell her to wait.  Just today we
were standing in line for breakfast, and she was in the right place, except
that I noticed she was very gently nosing the guy ahead of us.  I followed
her nose, and the guy turned around and smiled and said she was smelling his
dogs on him.  She always knows how to sniff out the dog people. <smile>  She
does try to budge in line sometimes, especially when getting on the bus.
<smile>  She's not always good at finding the end of the line though.
Tracy's idea for that is great, will have to try that.  I should make it a
more conscious thing for both of us.

I'd like to teach Sunny how to find empty bathroom stalls but just have to
make the time to do it...  I know it's easily doable, especially with the
clicker.  The bathroom at work would be a good place to practice before or
after work, as it's pretty quiet then.  She does know how to find a chair,
but I'm afraid I'm not very consistent about it, and she doesn't always
target empty ones. <smile>  I'm sure though that if I only rewarded her for
finding the empty ones, she'd get it pretty quick.  Gotta work with her more
on that too.

AnnaLisa and Sundance