[nagdu] Missing Washington Co. Boy Found After 5-Mile BarefootWalk

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Tue May 18 21:09:46 UTC 2010

Hi Katrin,
I think CCI gives dogs to disabled kids as young as 6 - or they did. In
those cases, the parents took complete responsibility for the dog's care
with the child doing the tasks he or she was able to do.

Those were interesting points about the realities of service dogs for
autistic kids.  Wow!  It seemed like the dogs couldn't deal with the kids!
I agree with you about kids being too young for the responsibilities of dog
ownership and assistance dog usage.

What exactly does a service dog for autistic people do on its own or is
trained to do?  I've known some autistic people but none had dogs.  I am
always curious about what training dogs get to do all kinds of things and to
help people with all kinds of disabilities.  It is so amazing as to what
dogs are capable of doing!Thanks.

Cheers,

Lyn and Landon