[nagdu] Soft Stool

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Sun May 23 00:05:12 UTC 2010

Your vet can prescribe a special canned or dry dog food called Intestinal
Diet as part of his recovery regime.  It's also good to have some ID in the
house to give one's dog after a short fast following diarrhea when there's
no time to cook up special meals, or when you're traveling or feeding at
work.

I agree with everyone else in that it's time to go to the vet.

I'm currently partnered with my seventh dog, and believe that a solid
relationship with one's vet can be invaluable to person and dog.  As your
vet gets to know you and your dog, sick and well, he or she can monitor your
dog's health over time and educate you about how to recognize and address
minor problems and prevent major ones, how to recognize and meet your dog's
different needs as he ages, how to manage his weight, and how to choose the
best foods for him.

My first guide had a lot of diarrhea during his first year out of school,
and this didn't clear up until I realized that the food recommended by the
school had too much protein in it for him.  That's what I was told by my
vet.

Whether the food had the wrong protein/fat/carbohydrate ratio, or whether it
was just poor quality food, I'm not really sure.  The school wasn't any help
about this at all, and my dog had done well on their chosen food in class.
But my vet alerted me to the impact of my dog's diet on his digestive
problems, and the change in diet improved his health dramatically.

Best wishes to you and your dog, and I hope that he feels better soon.

Elizabeth