[nagdu] guide dog attacked near Syracuse

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Thu May 27 00:58:07 UTC 2010

Hi every one, When I got Shaman In December,2009 He had no training at all.
It took 8 months to train him as a guide dog.At first he became distracted
by other dogs as he wanted to play with every dog he saw. I finally got him
to settle down when he saw other dogs.He passed his blindfold test in
July,2009. In 2010,he was recently attacked by a pit bull and he became
fearful of other dogs. He would bark and growl whenever he saw any other
dogs. He did not lunge at them,just barked and growled at them. It took
months of working him in places like Pets Mart and street fairs for him to
overcome his fear of other dogs. He is now working fine around other
dogs,and has formed a friendship with a friend's guide dog.No more barking
and growling.I was lucky to have gotten him over his fear. It could have
been worse and I might have had to retire him.I think because we had a good
bond and both trusted each other, it was easier for Shaman to over come his
fear. This was the first attack for Shaman. Nala was attacked 3 times and
Lily was attacked 5 times. Animal control never did any thing. I took one
person to court and the judge said he did not believe that my dog was
attacked.I even showed him the vet report and bill. The judge threw the case
out. I do believe that something needs to be done about the people that let
there dogs roam free unleashed to attack our guides. I have tried but no one
listens to me as I seem to be the only one to stand up for my rights. I am
at a loss as to what to do.   Mardi and Shaman and Nala,retired.

--
http://wolfsinger-lakota.blogspot.com/