[nagdu] EXTERNAL:Re: NFB and Airlines

Brenda bjnite at windstream.net
Fri Nov 5 16:22:34 UTC 2010

Rebecca

As indicated in other posts, I am just beginning to cross over to the
dark side as it were.  Having partial sight all my life I functioned in
the sighted world because that was what worked.   As previously
mentioned, I have received very little cane training and definitely none
regarding airport travel.  From this list and elsewhere, I have learned
about handling a guide dog in an airport so am aware that handlers do
not have to hand their guide dogs to a TSA agent.  That is why I would
not be afraid to refuse to hand the leash of a future guide dog to TSA.
The context of my comments had to do with a guide user on this list who
said they considered using a cane at TSA checkpoints to make things go
smoother.  My post was to show that it may not really be smoother to use
a cane, as one may still be required to let them scan it separately.  It
seems to me that relinquishing a guide dog is more invasive than handing
over my cane at this point in my limited experience in my new world.  Brenda