[nagdu] How do any of you deal with small children wanting to touch your guide dog

Lisa Irving lirving1234 at cox.net
Fri Apr 8 05:41:18 UTC 2011

Brittany,

No means, no even when others disagree. Below I've described how I choose to
handle similar situations.

I tend to remind children that I am a stranger and they should ask their
parent if they can talk to me. Why this approach? Have you ever seen the
simulated child lureing senerios on T. V.? Usually the parent then tells the
child that they can talk to me. The child asks, can I pet your dog? I tell
the child and indirectly the parent, yes, you may pet my dog AFTER you ask
your mom's permission.

This is not always a steadfast practice. Like you and so many others, I
don't always have time to chat and let a very young child fuss over my dog.
That's what I mean when I say, no means, no. It's your call.

Children under the age of five generally don't understand the term, "working
dog". However, most toddlers and pre school children  do understand what it
means to be a helper. If it seems appropriate I quickly engage in a brief
dialogue with the parent, or the grand parent. I'll explain to the parent,
and indirectly to the child, this is my helper dog... . Again, I talk to the
parent and I ask their permission to talk to their child.

There was instance when Bernie and I were shopping in a neighborhood Mexican
market. Two brothers approached Bernie. One was school age and the other was
probably three or four years old. The youngest child was pannicked. I then
put Bernie into a down position and instructed him to "stay". then I got on
the floor and laid my face right by his nose. I told the older boy it was
all right to pet my guide dog if his mother said he could. The older boy
(maybe six years) did opt to pet  Bernie. The other child would have no part
in it.

Lisa and Bernie