[nagdu] How do any of you deal with small children wanting to touch your guide dog

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 12:22:02 UTC 2011

This really depends on what I am doing or where I am going. If I am sitting
at a bench, or waiting, then I might say yes. But that yes is with the sense
that I will get down and interact with the child. I would say that the pup
is a helper dog and that I can't see and she helps me get around. Now If I
am in a hurry, on my way to some place and don't have time, then no is no.
And that parent is completely out of line. I think it really depends on the
pup too. Some of them aren't that child friendly, and others, like mine. See
a lil one and her tail wags. She wants to play, loves kids.

I think you did the right thing. Stand by what you think is right in this
situation, and don't let the fact that the parent got upset bother you. Its
your dog, they are working, and your safety depends on that. Nothing more or
less.

marsha