[nagdu] should guides be given a second owner if it doesn'tworkout with the first owner?

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 14 20:05:18 UTC 2011

Yeah.  There are a number of reasons why re-issuing makes sense overall,
including the fairness of giving a dog a second chance at the career for
which its worked hard to become qualified.  Mismatches happen, but just as
the handler often does great with the next dog, so do many of the dogs with
the next handler.  So my opinion on that now is much more well-informed than
my first gut-level response when I didn't have enough experience as a
handler myself or with other guide dog users to consider that a sound
judgment on my part.  Kinda like the training age issue.  My first response
-- at the same time as I learned about re-issuing -- was strongly negative.
Stronly.  /smile/

Now, while I admit to being still fairly leery when I hear about a very
youthful new dog, I've been around enough handlers with such youngsters to
realize that it actually can work out well.  Who knew?  /grin/  If I decide
to get a dog through a program next time around -- or the time after that or
-- I will consider the age of the dog I'm hoping to be issued as a strong
factor and, depending on which program I'm applying for and their general
practice in that area, may specifically request a dog of 20 months or,
better yet, 24.  That's just my preference.  If I want to owner-train, I'll
get a pup.  If I want an out of the box guide dog, I don't want to have to
spend all my time burping it.  /lol/

That's all speculation for now, so I'm not hard core on any of those points,
just building up a list of general guidelines for myself and rules of thumb
for when (if) the time comes.  Since Mitzi's going to live forever, like
I've told her to, I don't even know why I bother to think about it.  /lol/

Tami Smith-Kinney