[nagdu] Bill of Rights statement Concerning Health, Temperment, & Behavior

GARY STEEVES rainshadowmusic at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 20 16:35:23 UTC 2011

Hi Lisa:

As a first time guide dog handler I was quite insecure about if I was doing things right or wrong with Bogart. However, I am a person who researches things when I am interested and don't know so I soon llearned that I need not be insecure. I thought the trainers would have all the answers for me but I have learned that sometimes they come up with real gems but most of the time my common sense approach is the same as what they suggest. Also, I had the learning curve of how dogs are and how my dog inparticular is. The first time he threw up on our morning walk I was a bit flipped out but I hadn't noticed him eating grass a couple of minutes before that. The fact that he sometimes doesn't eat his food worried me to death but then I learned he is a poodle and when he is stressed he chooses not to eat to make his point I assume. The passive agressive poodle. :) I recall when I first brought bogart home my girlfirend (who has had many dogs) and I got into a bit of a discussion since she wanted to give Bogart some sort of yummy meat and I said no, I was told not to do that with him. I ended up talking to  the head trainer at my school and he was very common sense. He basically said, look dogs are dogs. We used to just give them our scraps. So yes, you need to think about what you give him but odds are, if you do not over do anything and pay attention to the out comes (which you get to pick up every day) then you'll see what your dog can tolerate or not. I recall learning that Bogart can't have  shrimps if I don't want to offend the world the next day with the oders that he produces. The nextday at work was so embarrassing. We sprayed the air deodorizer in my shared office but then we learned that the deodorizers smell was too strong and we had to leave our office because of that smell. In my next meeting Bogart let one go that had us all gasping. the poor guy. :) So now I know about that.

Basically I've learned that I can ask the school for some assistance in the same way I ask my questions on this list. However, no matter what anyone says, in the end I weigh everyone's input and do what I feel is best for Bogart and myself. Now I worry much less about Bogart and realize, with most things, I need to see how he is the next day before I start thinking of taking him to the vet. I have pretty low opinions of vets (heck, I have pretty low opinions of doctors too <smile>).

Okay, now I'm rambling and can't recall why I was responding. :)

Enjoy the day
Gary